Sunday, June 8, 2008

He's back!

I stepped outside my house this morning to head off to church and my friend, the skunk, had been by. All around the outside of the house smelled like skunk. Fortunately, it did not smell like skunk inside the house. I'm glad that I didn't see him face to face this time. I was assuming that he might be the same one from the bus stop a few weeks ago, but who knows this might be a relative.

Yesterday, we went down to Salem. Salem as you may recall is famous for its witch trials in the 1600s. Everywhere you go there are shops selling witch paraphernalia. You can also have your future read by palm or tarot cards. We opted, however, not to go to any of the three witch museums or partake in any witch silliness. We went to the Peabody Essex Museum instead. It was wonderful. There were a lot of things to see. Inside the museum they have a chinese house that was taken apart in China and transported to Salem and then put back together. It was filled with authentic articles from the area and time period. It was fascinating to see how they lived. The stories about the house traced the generations and lives of one particular Chinese family who owned and lived in the house. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

We also did some walking around the historic town. I am fascinated with architecture and old houses and so I took lots of pictures. We also had a wonderful seafood lunch on Pickering Wharf at Finz. I highly recommend it. I had the lobster roll. It was very yummy.

Tomorrow I am headed out to Quincy to see the Adams home. I have been reading John Adams by David McCullough and I am very excited to see where it took place. It should be an easy trip down the Red Line. The mini-series comes out on DVD this Tuesday and I hear it is really good and so I plan to purchase it. What a history nerd I am!

I almost forgot to mention this fabulous, crazy bookstore we went into in Salem. It was very tiny but loaded with books stacked from the floor to about the height of six feet. There were so many that there was only enough space for one person to walk comfortably down the aisles. The owner had the books organized by genre and if you told him what you were looking for he would help you find it and even pull it out for you. I was afraid that if I pulled out a book the whole pile would come tumbling down and I would buried in a ton of books. Please see the picture posted on this blog. You have to see it to believe it. The best part almost every book was 50% off list price!

No comments: