Monday, June 30, 2008

I got to drive a Duck!!

Today was a good day but it had a rather uncertain start. I went down to wait for the bus only to have the bus driver go right past me waiting in the correct bus stop location without stopping!! Fortunately for me there was someone waiting at the next stop down the road and she stopped there and I ran. She waited for me. I think she felt bad for having not picked me up.

Once I got downtown, I took the famous Boston Duck Tour. The tour is done in amphibious vehicles with drivers who are hilarious. They must have five different licenses in order to drive a Duck vehicle. One for driving on land, one for driving in the Charles River, and three for operating tour vehicles in each of the three cities through which the Duck passes.

Our driver was Sergeant Meatball. He told some very corny jokes and puns as well as a few truly funny ones. When we got out to the Charles River, he let all the kids in the Duck who wanted to, drive it for a while. After the kids had their turn, he asked if any adults wanted to drive the Duck. Heck yea! I want to drive a Duck. I eagerly volunteered and got to drive our Duck around in the Charles River. The driver took my picture while I was driving. I will post it here for you to see.

After the Duck tour, I had lunch in the Prudential Center and then headed out for Charlestown. When I first arrived in Boston, I walked the Freedom Trail but didn't walk the part goes in and around Charlestown. Today was the day to finish it. I loved Charlestown. It was so quiet and peaceful. I think if I were going to move to Boston, I would want to live there. The only bad part was the distance from the subway. That could be a problem. I ended up taking the ferry back into Boston and then getting the subway from there. My feet weren't up to walking back across the bridge and into Boston.

After Charlestown and the ferry back into Boston, I headed out to Harvard and Cambridge. I enjoyed walking around the campus although I will admit that I took quite a few wrong turns. It is a beautiful place. From there I took the bus home.

It was a beautiful, hot day but I really enjoyed seeing the sights and driving a Duck!! I am going to be sad to leave here.

No comments: