Sunday, May 3, 2009

Flight day 4-27-09

I am on way to Spain. The next few entries will be about my adventures there.

I was really sick yesterday. I had a stomach flu that was really slowing me down. The ironic thing about it is that I was able to go to choir practice and church before it really kicked in. Once I got home I had to make about 10 or 15 trips to the bathroom during the next couple of hours. I was really worried about how I would do spending the next day and night on planes and in airports. Thank goodness for the power of the priesthood. Adam and Brother Loveridge gave me a blessing and I am feeling much better today. I’m still not quite at 100% but good enough to navigate around the airport and sit on a plane.

I slept most of my first flight between Salt Lake City and Chicago. Considering I got up at 3:15 after going to bed at about 10:30 it’s not too surprising that I was so tired. Add to that the fact that I was sick and really hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast Sunday morning and it’s no surprise I was so tired.

I have finally eaten some real food. I had a piece of toast on the way to the airport and then here in Chicago I had a banana and a bagel. After that long explanation here is the subject of this blog entry: the price of food at the airport.

I wanted to make sure that I had something in case my nausea came back and so I popped into one of those little bookstores and purchased some Dramamine and a Sprite. The price was $4.50!! The Dramamine was only two doses and was ridiculously overpriced at $2.79. I was shocked but felt it was necessary.

When I got to Chicago, I felt a little hungry and thought a banana would be good. I can’t believe how much they charge for a simple banana. $1.30!! I could buy a whole pound of bananas for that price in a supermarket. I went ahead and paid it thought because I was desperate for something to eat.

After I saw Kimberly off on her flight, I went to find something else to eat. I was pleasantly surprised to find a bagel with cream cheese for $2.19. I guess you really can find some decent food for a regular price in the airport but it’s not very easy.

The other thing I have noticed is an abundance of restrooms but rarely a drinking fountain. For those of use who bring our own water bottles to refill it’s a pain to have to fill them in the bathroom. I guess they want to make sure you pay the $3 necessary to buy some bottled water.

One final gripe is the Wifi. They advertise it all over the airport but they don’t tell you that it costs $6.95 a day or $9.95 a month. That’s ridiculous. I wonder if we will ever really see the day where there will be free Wifi everywhere.

No comments: