Thursday, May 22, 2008

More adventures on the "T"

I had an interesting afternoon on the subway aka "the T". I was walking confidently to my Red line train and managed to squeeze on with the other sardines who were all crammed inside. We went one station and when we stopped, although no one got off, several people wanted to get on. There was even an argument at the doors. One rather large, African-American woman wanted to get on with her equally large boyfriend but there was just no room. She and a lady close to the door argued over whether or not they could fit. In the background another woman was yelling at her to just get off. The doors were not closing and we wanted to move on. The large woman ended up backing off and the train left the station.

As we were pulling out, I realized that we hadn't gone up out of the deep, dark underground to cross the river at the stop for Massachusetts General Hospital. It was then that I realized that I must have boarded the wrong train! I felt stupid. I got off happily at the next stop because I wasn't really enjoying being a sardine anyways. After I got off I took the next train back in the right direction. When I got back to Park Station, which is where I got on the wrong train, they had everyone get off. Apparently there were two trains disabled down in the Harvard Station which was my destination. That train was not going to be going towards Harvard Station but it was turning around to go the other direction. They said the next one would be going in the right direction but I had my doubts. As it turned out, I really hadn't boarded the wrong train. The trains were running the wrong direction because they had to turn around at Park Street because they couldn't proceed on. I felt a little better but it made my commute really long. It ended up taking me and hour and a half to get home.

I love taking public transportation because it is so cheap. I can ride all I want for only $15 a week. If I wanted to take my car not only would it require money for gas, apparently it costs about $200 a month to park downtown where I work. Yes, it takes a little while but I see interesting people and I get some exercise. (It is a 5 minute walk to the bus stop and a 5 minute walk to work from the T station plus any extra walking I get to do in the morning because I get there way too early.)

This is what happens when I start to feel like I know what I'm doing. I am reminded that I am still human and I need to shrink my head back down to size!

No comments: