Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Walking home in the rain and other fun things

I started my internship yesterday. There was so much to learn the first day. Thankfully, my supervisor realizes that I am there to learn and he knows that I am human and he will be patient with me. The research assignments have been very interesting. I spent time at the reference desk today. I felt a little out of place because I can't really refer patrons to sources because I still don't know where they are. I am learning though and that is good.

Today is the first time I took the bus and the subway to work and back without taking a least one wrong train. Yay!! Normally the whole commute takes at least an hour including walking time. Today I made it in 50 minutes!! Yesterday it took me 1 hour and 10 minutes. Today I had to walk around a while because I was half an hour early. It was a pretty morning. The sun was shining and there was no wind like we experienced yesterday.

Tonight on the commute home I saw a couple of rowing teams practicing on the Charles River. It was awesome. I want to walk down that way sometime and just walk along the river. I wondered if they were teams from Harvard.

As I got closer to home it started to rain. I had checked the weather before I left this morning and saw a 30% chance of rain and packed my umbrella. It came in handy. There is supposed to be a 50% chance of rain tomorrow.

Boston is such a fascinating place. You see so many interesting people and hear so many different languages. It is fun to try and guess what they might be. I think I heard a lady speaking Italian on the bus tonight but I can't be sure.

Do you remember when you were a kid and you make a flip cartoon on the edge of the pages of a book? As you flipped the pages it made a sort of moving cartoon. Well there is something like that between a couple of the stops on the Red line. It is an ad for ovaltine. It is just a series of pictures with each one having a slight variation to give the appearance of movement as you past swiftly by.

2 comments:

Amy said...

We must go kayaking on the Potomac right through downtown DC when you're here. It's fabulous!

Debbie said...

I don't know if I have enough courage to kayak down the Potomac!!